Yesterday, the four progressive congresswomen aka the Squad – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib held a press conference and fought back against the racist attacks from the occupant of the White House.
Trump is just a symptom of the racist agenda of the GOP and their base
You’ve probably heard/read by now about the racist attacks the occupant unleashed against the freshmen lawmakers who are 1) non-white and 2) women. If you haven’t, below is what happened.
3 of the 4 congresswomen were actually born in the US but that didn’t stop Trump from tweeting last Sunday that they should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came” – so those horrible places the occupant spoke about, going by facts, are actually the US.
We been knowing Trump’s always been racist but what/who put the battery in his back to be this openly and utterly racist? The GOP, Fox News and the Republican base. Check out the bullet points below:
- Tucker Carlson, the Fox News host, claimed last week that Rep. Ilhan Omar is “living proof that the way we practice immigration has become dangerous to this country.”
- House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy argued today that Trump is “not a racist”.
- Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell also claimed today that Trump is “not a racist”.
- WH Counselor Kelleyanne Conway said today that the Squad “represents dark underbelly in this country” – Dark underbelly? Hmm…
- Trump still enjoys 90% support from the Republicans.
- The support Trump gets from his base reached religious level – last week, Miriam Adelson, the billionaire Republican mega-donor, said that there should be a “book of Trump” in the bible. No lie, click the link.
You get the idea.
The appalling inaction of Dem establishment
“We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
So what have the Dem leaders been doing thus far to fight back against the agenda? Not much. House leader Nancy Pelosi has 1) been against impeaching Trump, saying he’s “not worth it”, 2) failed to protect the newly elected congresswomen from the attacks by the Republicans and instead chosen to belittle and diminish their influence.
Were Trump’s latest remarks a wake-up call to the Dem leadership then? Nah, they kindly invited the Republicans to join them to “condemn” Trump’s remarks together – which of course got laughed off by the GOP.
“It’s easy to see when you look at me, if you look closely 50 don’t back down” – 50 cent
The Squad didn’t back down, tho. The progressive congresswomen, knowing they can’t depend on the leadership to be their reliable ally, chose to stand up against Trump, called out his BS, and made a compelling case for his impeachment. Perhaps the vets should learn a thing or two from the rooks.