Trump is talking spicy again, saying “people would revolt” if he were to get impeached in a recent interview with Reuters.
“Try to impeach him. Just try it” – Roger Stone
This isn’t the first time Team Trump has chirped about the possibility of revolt. Trump’s long-time adviser Roger Stone said last year that there will be “a spasm of violence in this country” in the event of impeachment. Trump’s lawyer and cousin-marrier Rudy Giuliani has also talked that revolt talk earlier this year as well. Now, Trump, the president of the US, has picked up on the talking point himself.
Here’s the full quote: “It’s hard to impeach somebody who hasn’t done anything wrong and who’s created the greatest economy in the history of our country. I’m not concerned, no. I think that the people would revolt if that happened,”
Let’s spot the lies:
- “who hasn’t done anything wrong” – false. We learned last week he was directly involved in felony campaign finance violation.
- “created the greatest economy in the history of our country” – false. The stock market is having its worst year in a decade.
- “I’m not concerned” – false. He’s scared.
- “People would revolt” – well, this is where things get tricky.
Never underestimate the stupidity and vileness of team #MAGA
After Trump’s interview, there was a HuffPost article about how people on twitter were making fun (that people would rejoice, instead of revolt, etc) of his remarks. We wish that were the case, but we can’t help but think they’re being naïve.
In spite of all the fuckeries (or maybe because of them), 89% of Republicans still support Trump and he’s a savior-like figure for the far-right white supremacists (American Nazi leader James Mason said “anything could be possible” with Trump in the White house). And Trump, knowing those nutjobs will be his last line of defense, has been openly putting batteries on their backs.
Let’s do a quick recap:
- Hate crimes rose 17% during Trump’s first year in office
- Trump invoked in 20% of hate crimes against South Asians and Middle Easterners
- Vegas Shooter Stephen Paddock who killed 58 people was a Trump supporter
- Pipe-bomb sender Cesar Sayoc is an avid Trump fan
- Wafflehouse shooter Travis Reinking who killed 6 people is also a huge Trump supporter
- Nikolas Cruz, the Parkland school shooter who killed 17 people, was a #MAGA hat wearer
- What about Pittsburgh synagogue shooter Robert Bowers? Yup, Trump supporter
- Gregory Bush, the Kroger shooter, is team #MAGA as well
Clearly, there’s a pattern here.
Now, we don’t think there will be a mass civil war if Trump gets impeached but could the prospect of him going down trigger right-wing nutjobs to do some evil, stupid shit? Sadly, the answer is yes.